Monday, October 26, 2009

Baked Beef and Pasta

I found this in The Big Cook cookbook I was referred to via a friend on facebook..I immediately went to Chapters and after a 5 min browse I was hooked and bought the book. My family all wanted seconds of this one...and my husband said it was even better the next day as leftovers for lunch

One of the things I loved about this cookbook is that they provided you with options for 1 meal, 4 meals, 6 meals, 8 meals and the complete measures etc for all...I'm only going to provide the info for the 1 meal one today. As well they provided complete freezer preps and grocery lists for doing freezer meals too...

Baked Beef and Pasta
The Big Cook cookbook

1 lb lean ground beef, browned
1.2 cup chopped onion
1 cup frozen sliced carrots
1 1.2 cup frozen peas
2 minced garlic cloves
1 tsp thyme
1/2 cup red wine
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 1.2 cups macaroni
1 cup provolone or romano cheese, grated

Cook beef. Add onion, carrots & peas. Combine garlic, thyme, red wine & tomatoes. Mix thoroughly and add to beef mixture.

Cook pasta for about 13 minuts in boiling water until tender but firm. Add to beef mixture in oven safe casserole. Bake at 350 Covered for 1 hour. Sprinkle cheese just before serving.

This can also be done in the slow cooker... 2 - 3 hours on high or 4 -5 hours low, combine cooked pasta in just before serving.

I used marble cheese and the frozen carrots/peas mixture and it was awesome..

No comments: